What are your trusting god for?
Go to Chapter:
What Are You Trusting God For?
- Which of the issues from page 5 do you find most challenging or upsetting? How do you think God could use you and/or others to make a difference in those areas?
- What excites you about trusting God for bigger things? What holds most of us back from asking God for bigger things?
- When you read the “Big-God” verses on pages 6, 7, how do they impact your heart? Fear? Doubt? Excitement? Awe? How does trusting God for big things bring glory to him? How could it be misused?
- If you were to begin the process of developing a God-sized vision, what might your vision look like? Are there particular areas or people groups that you would like to see God use you to impact?
- Which of the 5 practical steps on pages 12-15 would you like to put into practice? Or has God laid another practical step on your heart? What is it?
- Over your lifetime, how much have you thought about or learned about the Holy Spirit in relation to your walk with God?
- What scares you the most about yielding yourself fully to God? How could a better understanding of God’s character help you get over your fear?
- Jesus said in John 15:5, “Apart from me, you can do nothing.” How would acknowledging that truth lead us to being filled with the Holy Spirit more consistently?
- Most people are reluctant to confess their sins to God. Why do you think that people are reluctant? How could we get into a habit of more regularly confessing our sins to God?
- What excites you about the potential of bearing “much fruit?” In what areas would you like to see more fruit? How could this affect your day-to-day life at work or school?
- What are some ways you can begin developing a habit of practicing the Spirit-filled life?
Our Most Dangerous Weapon
- How have you experienced the Cycle of Prayer in your own prayer life? Do you have examples of specific answers to prayer that you can easily remember? Talk about it.
- What prevents us from praying specific prayers? How can having a list of specific prayer requests help your prayer life?
- Philippians 4:6 says, “Be anxious in nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.” As a group, come up with 10-15 or more specific prayer requests that you could begin praying. These may be unique to each individual, or common requests that all of you could pray for. Use the list on page 60 to stimulate ideas.
- How is the idea of having God-sized goals different than “the power of positive thinking.” (Hint: think God-sized dependence and Kingdom priorities).
- What are some God-sized prayers you would like to start praying?
- Which of the practical steps on pages 59-63 would you like to start applying?
Think Eternally, Live Accordingly
- Discuss the diagram on page 66. How does the reality of eternity affect the way you view your life?
- Why did Jesus talk about hell so openly? How does the reality of hell affect you?
- What gets you most excited about heaven? Which realities from pages 69-73 are you most looking forward to?
- Which of the practical steps listed from pages 78-85 would you like to start applying?
Change the Trees
- What takeaways do you have from the story of Matthaios and Shimon?
- What struck you about the societal transformation that followed the spiritual awakening that happened in Wales (page 95)? Do you think we could see a similar transformation today? Why or why not?
- How do we manage the balance between directly addressing important issues such as abortion or human trafficking, versus focusing on changing the trees?
- To what societal issue would you most like to see God bring transformation? What steps can we take to begin to see this happen?
Ever Expanding Faith
- Has there been a time when you have taken specific steps to increase your faith? What were they?
- How does spending time in God’s word help grow your faith? Who are some “Big God” people who challenge your faith?
- What would be an example of a faith barrier that you might consider breaking?
- Which of the “Big Three” faith barriers do you find the most challenging?What would help you to step out in faith and trust God to break that faith barrier?
The Power of Multiplication
- Have you ever had the sense of being overwhelmed by the needs around you?
- Why do you think there is not a greater emphasis on spiritual multiplication throughout the Christian world? How would focusing on multiplication change the way you do ministry?
- What impacted you most about the case study from Gregg’s discipleship group on pages 125-127? Does that inspire you? How?
- What are practical ways that you can begin practicing multiplication?
Exalted in Every Nation
- What impacted you most about the apple orchard analogy?
- Were you surprised to see how many passages express God’s heart for the nations throughout the Bible? Why do you think there is so little emphasis on this in Christian teaching?
- How does it impact you to learn that there are more than 3 billion people who have never had the opportunity to even hear about Jesus?
- How do we manage the tension of seeing the needs in our own nations while recognizing that there are billions who have never heard the gospel even once?
- Have you ever prayerfully considered taking part in a short-term missions trip? Is there anything that would prevent you from doing that?
Tying it All Together
- Spend time praying together about your application of what you have learned through this book.
- Pray that God would give each of you a God-size dream.
- Pray that God would reveal to each of you if there is anything hindering you to be filled with the Holy Spirit.
- Share with each other one God-size prayer and take time to pray for it now.
- Share one action step related to investing your time, talent and/or treasure to impact eternity. Pray for one another to live that out.
- Share who God has laid on your heart to see led to Jesus and transformed by the gospel. Pray for those people.
- Share with the group what step of faith you would like to take. Pray for each other about these steps of faith.
- Share with the group one way you could multiply yourself. Pray for each other about this.
- Share with the group one action step you could take to help fulfill the Great Commission. Pray for each other about these steps.
- Pray together that God would use you to be part of changing the world for His glory.